2.12.2010

Opening Apologies



So tonight I was watching the opening ceremonies for the 2010 winter olympics. I'm always excited for the olympics and for the people who are lucky enough to show off their talents to the world. The usually extravagant opening ceremonies I felt were sub-par this time around. They found a kid from a circus school in Montreal to fly around on wires for 5 minutes and also what really bothered me is they took a guy who was discovered off Youtube of all places for his slam poetry. I felt like his poem was an apology to the world saying, "sorry world for Canada sucking so bad at everything we do". The title of his poem was "We Are More" We are more than hockey playing, beer drinking, A-Zed, crazy Canadians. I've met my fair share of Canadians and I'll agree with him to a certain extent, but i don't think they are much more. The few Canadians i know make up for the ones I don't know and give the rest of them a bad rep.

I'm excited to see what else Vancouver has in store for these next 16 days in February. I'm always looking forward to watching the fun events of the Olympics. I cannot believe it's already been 8 years since they were here in Salt Lake City. I think it did some good for our city and helped it in many ways. I hope the people of Vancouver and redeem themselves from this less than amazing opening night.

0 comments:

My photo
BTFL, UT, United States
I am Dan. I'm simple minded so please don't confuse me.